Thursday, February 16, 2017

Budapest. Raday utca 9.



In In the Darkroom, which I wrote about in the last post, I noted that one of the places mentioned in the book was Raday utca 9, a secession-era house designed by noted architect Gyula Fodor.  I live about a 10 minute walk from there, and pass it almost everyday.  I thought readers, or potential readers, of the book might be interested in seeing more of the building. Susan Faludi describes the building this way.  (She gets into the building--like I often do--by slipping in after someone has opened the door).

"The front hall was refurbished.  The red-tiled wainscotting gleamed, and the freshly painted walls glowed a warm creamy yellow, white mouldings buffed to a high shine.  







"The interior Art Nouveau friezes had been restored; they ran in a long white panorama down either side of the hallway and across the ceiling."



"I gazed upon lithe nudes in playful motion: a girl in ecstatic mid-twirl with arms flung wide; two nubile dancers prancing together with wild abandon, their fingers interlaced; a muscular and naked Adonis reclining with a book. Had these been the daily muses of my father's boyhood?"




Susan Faludi's absolutely accurate and detailed description of entry hall of Raday utca 9 anchors her book in reality in a precise and meaningful way.

#RadayUtca9
#GyulaFodor
#SusanFaludi
#InTheDarkroom


4 comments :

  1. What a cool visual tour, D!!! I love seeing the details of that entry hall and Faludi's description!

    We're in Georgia (for golf), eventually headed south to Miami (for Cuba). Love to you and T!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, really, how cool is this crossing and recrossing of strands?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stayed here in an apartment recently. It is a beautiful building! The courtyard is spevial too.

    ReplyDelete