Thursday, February 16, 2017

Budapest. Raday utca 9.



In In the Darkroom, which I wrote about in the last post, I noted that one of the places mentioned in the book was Raday utca 9, a secession-era house designed by noted architect Gyula Fodor.  I live about a 10 minute walk from there, and pass it almost everyday.  I thought readers, or potential readers, of the book might be interested in seeing more of the building. Susan Faludi describes the building this way.  (She gets into the building--like I often do--by slipping in after someone has opened the door).

"The front hall was refurbished.  The red-tiled wainscotting gleamed, and the freshly painted walls glowed a warm creamy yellow, white mouldings buffed to a high shine.  







"The interior Art Nouveau friezes had been restored; they ran in a long white panorama down either side of the hallway and across the ceiling."



"I gazed upon lithe nudes in playful motion: a girl in ecstatic mid-twirl with arms flung wide; two nubile dancers prancing together with wild abandon, their fingers interlaced; a muscular and naked Adonis reclining with a book. Had these been the daily muses of my father's boyhood?"




Susan Faludi's absolutely accurate and detailed description of entry hall of Raday utca 9 anchors her book in reality in a precise and meaningful way.

#RadayUtca9
#GyulaFodor
#SusanFaludi
#InTheDarkroom


3 comments :

Cindy Selfe said...

What a cool visual tour, D!!! I love seeing the details of that entry hall and Faludi's description!

We're in Georgia (for golf), eventually headed south to Miami (for Cuba). Love to you and T!!

Susan Griffin said...

I mean, really, how cool is this crossing and recrossing of strands?

Debra Journet said...

I know. It's almost eerie.