Ujpest was a small city formed on the edge of Pest in 1838. Its name means "new Pest." It was established by Isaac Lowy who owned a shoe factory and wanted to move to Pest. Because he was Jewish he could not obtain a settlement permit, so he decided to create a town to house his factory,, buying land from Karolyi nobles. The deed included the right to religious freedom, to self-government, and to engage in business. In 1866, financed by the Lowy family, a neo-logue (Conservative) synagogue in the "Romantic Moorish" style was built. It has seats for 1000 people.
Many of the Jews of Budapest survived until 1944. However, because Ujpest was not part of Budapest, its deportations began earlier. In all about 20,000 Ujpest Jews died. Today there is a memorial wall in the synagogue complex that lists the names. We weren't able to gain access. But outside the wall there is a sculptural memorial which narrates the story of Ujpest's Jews.
Preparing to leave:
Brutalized by the Arrow Cross:
Deported to the camps:
Ujpest is now part of Budapest proper; the last stop on the M3 line. It's a nice little town, with a beautiful city hall and a sad piece of history.